What is gold filled jewelry?
Gold filled is a layer of real gold, pressure bonded to a base metal, typically a jewelers' brass. The outer layer is 14k gold, it looks and feels just like a solid-gold piece of jewelry. Gold filled jewelry is hypoallergenic, tarnish and scratch resistant and on average, will last 30 years+ depending on how it’s taken care of.
How is gold fill different than gold plated?
Gold filled contains a substantial layer of 14kt gold, rather than a microscopic layer of gold plating (or gold dipped).
The process of pressure bonding makes the jewelry tarnish and chip resistant, unlike gold plating.
- Gold fill contains 100x more gold alloy than gold plated jewelry. A gold-filled finish will not flake off or chip and is tarnish resistant, if properly maintain and cleaned.
How to care for your gold filled jewelry
Your gold filled DV jewelry will last for years to come! To ensure it's continued beauty, follow these best practices:
1. Avoid prolonged exposure to chlorine. Remove before taking a dip in the pool, hot tub or sauna.
2. Take care when applying lotions, sunscreen, hairspray, shampoo, makeup, etc. These chemicals can be damaging to fine jewelry.
3. Store your jewelry in an airtight container or a ziplock.
4. Clean with mild soap and water. Pat dry. Use a micro fiber cloth or lens cloth (avoid bath towels, shirts or tissues) to remove any oxidation marks. Softly buff until the shine has been restored. Occasionally, remove chemicals and skin oils by rinsing with warm water and patting dry with a soft cloth or microfiber fabric.